On average Puran Poli has 219 Calories including 34g – 66% Carbs, 3g – 13% Fat, 11g – 21% Protein.
Being an authentic and popular traditional Maharashtrian sweet recipe, it is prepared on all the auspicious occasions like Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, Holi etc. Extremely rich and delectable, a perfect puran poli may disappear from your plate in few seconds however; it requires a lot of practice and patience to prepare the same. For initial couples of times, it may crumble or the stuffing may become loose, but not to worry, just enjoy the way it is!
- Preparation time: 3-4 hours
- Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Total time:4 hours 30 minutes (approximately)
- Serves:4 (minimum)
- For Kneading Flour: Wheat flour or flour 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1 tbs For Preparing Pooran
- Split Bengal gram/ Chana daal adds to the protein and fibre – 1 cup
- Jaggery adds sweetness and is a natural source of sugar – 1 cup. It is also rich in phosphorus so great way to substitute white sugar with a healthier option.
- Green cardamom/ Cardamom powder– 8 to 10/ 1 tsp
- Gemini Rice Bran Oil 2 tsp
- Fennel seed powder helps in aiding digestion 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder (Optional) – ¼ tsp. It acts as a mood uplifter making it a delicious Mood lifting meal. This shouldn’t be consumed every day.
Also Read: Know Your Plate: Gajar Ka Halwa
- Soak daal for about 3-4 hours in room temperature water or 1-2 hours in warm water.
- Wash the dal and boil it in a pressure cooker with 1 cup of fresh water.
- Cook daal in 3-4 whistles. Ensure the daal is cooked properly.
- Strain the dal and mash it slightly with a masher
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan, add mashed dal and jaggery. Keep it on a low flame. As the jaggery starts melting, the mixture will get thicken. Add cardamom, fennel seed powder and nutmeg powder before taking it off the flame. Mix thoroughly.
- Let the mixture cool down. Meanwhile, prepare the dough.
- Mix flour and salt together. Drizzle Gemini Rice Bran Oil and lightly knead the dough. Keep adding water to smoothen the dough till it becomes soft. Cover with a muslin cloth and keep aside for few minutes.
- Make a small ball of dough and pooran.
- Flatten the dough and stuff it with the pooran ball. Seal the mixture by pinching the edges of the dough and flatten it between your palms.
- Dust this with flour and gently roll with a rolling pin. Put pooran poli on griddle/ Tawa. Smear ghee on both the sides and fry till the time it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Pooran Poli is ready. Serve Hot!!
This can also be substituted for a high protein dessert option once a while. Men can consume 2 at a go. But for woman 1 should be enough.
Read similar articles in Healthy Diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.